Buckeyes hold steady in both polls, but lose first-place votes in latest rankings

With Ohio State’s 52-34 win over California, the Buckeyes remain at No. 4 in the Associated Press and third in the USA Today top 25 college football polls that were released on Sunday.

Ohio State's Jordan Hall (2) celebrates after scoring a touchdown against California during the second half of an NCAA college football game, Saturday, Sept. 14, 2013, in Berkeley, Calif. (AP Photo/Ben Margot)

Ohio State’s Jordan Hall (2) celebrates after scoring a touchdown against California during the second half of an NCAA college football game, Saturday, Sept. 14, 2013, in Berkeley, Calif. (AP Photo/Ben Margot)

Making his first collegiate start, fifth-year senior quarterback Kenny Guiton was 21-of-32 passing for 276 yards and four touchdowns as the Buckeyes rolled up 608 yards of total offense in the rout of the Cal Bears.

In the AP poll, Alabama remained No. 1 as the Crimson Tide received 59 of the 60 first-place votes. No. 2 Oregon received the other first-place vote. Rounding out the top 10 in the AP poll is No. 3 Clemson, No. 4 Ohio State, No. 5 Stanford, No. 6 LSU, No. 7 Louisville, No. 8 Florida State, No. 9 Georgia and No. 10 Texas A&M.

In the USA Today coaches poll, Alabama is also at the top with 61 of the 62 first-place votes. Oregon is No. 2 with one first-place vote. Rounding out the top 10 in the coaches poll, Ohio State is third followed by Clemson, Stanford, Louisville, LSU, Florida State and Georgia.

Last week, the Buckeyes garnered one first-place vote in the AP and two in the coaches poll, but did not receive any this week.

Ohio State’s next game is Saturday as the Buckeyes host Florida A&M (1-2). Kickoff at Ohio Stadium is scheduled for 12:00 p.m. ET, and it will be televised on BTN.

AP Top 25 College Football Poll
Rank Team Record Pts
1. Alabama (59) 2-0 1499 1
2. Oregon (1) 3-0 1413 2
3. Clemson 2-0 1347 3
4. Ohio St. 3-0 1330 4
5. Stanford 2-0 1241 5
6. LSU 3-0 1134 6
7. Louisville 3-0 1092 7
8. Florida St. 2-0 1058 8
9. Georgia 1-1 1051 9
10. Texas A&M 2-1 1001 10
11. Oklahoma St. 3-0 848 11
12. South Carolina 2-1 820 12
13. UCLA 2-0 757 13
14. Oklahoma 3-0 692 14
15. Michigan 3-0 671 15
16. Miami (FL) 2-0 653 16
17. Washington 2-0 495 17
18. Northwestern 3-0 486 18
19. Florida 1-1 411 19
20. Baylor 2-0 354 20
21. Mississippi 3-0 299 21
22. Notre Dame 2-1 276 22
23. Arizona St. 2-0 228 23
24. Wisconsin 2-1 86 24
25. Texas Tech 3-0 60 25
Others Receiving Votes:
Michigan St. 58, Fresno St. 26, UCF 25, Northern Illinois 24, Georgia Tech 17, Nebraska 15, Arizona 11, Auburn 9, Boise St. 4, TCU 3, Virginia Tech 3, Arkansas 2, Navy 1.
USA Today Top 25 College Football Poll
Rank Team Record Pts
1. Alabama (61) 2-0 1549 1
2. Oregon (1) 3-0 1477 2
3. Ohio St. 3-0 1398 3
4. Clemson 2-0 1331 4
5. Stanford 2-0 1314 5
6. Louisville 3-0 1128 6
7. LSU 3-0 1121 7
8. Florida St. 2-0 1113 8
9. Texas A&M 2-1 1033 9
10. Georgia 1-1 1022 10
11. Oklahoma St. 3-0 908 11
12. Oklahoma 3-0 839 12
13. South Carolina 2-1 811 13
14. Michigan 3-0 743 14
15. UCLA 2-0 699 15
16. Northwestern 3-0 582 16
17. Miami (FL) 2-0 559 17
18. Florida 1-1 398 18
19. Baylor 2-0 375 19
20. Washington 2-0 361 20
21. Notre Dame 2-1 331 21
22. Mississippi 3-0 303 22
23. Arizona St. 2-0 176 23
24. Michigan St. 3-0 131 24
25. Fresno St. 2-0 75 25
Others Receiving Votes:
Nebraska 55, Wisconsin 53, Texas Tech 49, Georgia Tech 37, Arkansas 34, UCF 33, Arizona 29, Northern Illinois 26, Auburn 15, Virginia Tech 9, BYU 8, USC 7, Kansas St. 6, Utah St. 5, Boise St. 5, Rutgers 2.

You may also like...

5 comments
buzzbuck
buzzbuck

By years end it will depend on how the teams we beat are ranked. The bcs is not decided by the AP alone. Computer/coaches/AP, is that not correct You never know the defense may be up to par by January. We were not supposed to beat, Miami/Oregon/Arkansas. If we go to NC we want to be under dogs. There's time allot can happen. A win over a PAC team is not as good as a win over a SUC team. We cant beat them if we don't play them.

Scott Lowe
Scott Lowe

I think we all need to prepare for the reality that, come December, Ohio State will be 13-0, riding a 25 game winning streak...and left out of the BCS Championship Game. They have the B1G to thank for it too. Every year, it's the same old story for this conference. They get a chance early in the season, and in the bowls to change the perception of the league, and every year teams like Nebraska, Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan lose every big game they are in. In particular, Wisconsin should just go away for good. Too conservative, too predictable, and clueless coaching. Once again, Ohio State will have to carry the flag for all of these chumps.

Ben Polovick
Ben Polovick

Honestly, I'd rather see us make it to the Rose Bowl and play a good Stanford Team. Urban Meyer is clearly putting the Buckeyes on the path to "Elite Status", but I don't think we're there yet. I'd hate to see us make it to the National Championship and then get our asses handed to us by Alabama. Better Oregon than us. Not trying to be negative... just practical. I don't want to see us get another SEC beatdown.

Matt_Barker
Matt_Barker

Yes, that could be a possibility. It didn't help the B1G this weekend that Nebraska got drubbed by UCLA, Wisconsin lost to Arizona State, and Michigan was lucky to hang on against a historically terrible Akron team.

Scott Lowe
Scott Lowe

To a degree, I'm with you. On the other hand, I haven't seen anybody, including Alabama and Oregon, that just screams unbeatable. If not for a dumb INT in the end zone, A & M is leading Alabama, and they still were in that game even with Manziel throwing a pick 6. A & M has no defense at all. I will say right now that there is no way Alabama scores 49 on Ohio State. Maybe 30. Then, it becomes an issue of whether Ohio State can score on Alabama. I think they can. As good as Manziel is, his team has no running game. He is it. The Buckeyes have a great combination of size and speed with Hall, Wilson, and Carlos Hyde. Plus, their WRs may not be quite as good as Alabama, but Smith and Brown can play for and with anyone. Now, can they beat Alabama? I don't know, but I am certain that the Buckeyes can play with anyone in the SEC.