Matta picks up third commit for 2015 class with four-star shooting guard Grandstaff

Earlier today, Ohio State men’s head basketball coach Thad Matta received his third verbal commitment for the 2015 class as Austin Grandstaff pledged his allegiance to Buckeye Nation during his unofficial visit this weekend to the Columbus campus and announced it via Twitter.

Rockwall High School guard Austin Grandstaff (1) dishes off the ball during the second quarter against Coppell High School on December 17, 2013. (Dallas Morning News Photo)

Rockwall High School guard Austin Grandstaff (1) dishes off the ball during the second quarter against Coppell High School on December 17, 2013. (Dallas Morning News Photo)

Grandstaff, a 6-foot-5, 190-pound shooting guard from Rockwell High School in Rockwell, Texas, is a four-star prospect by all three major recruiting websites. 247Sports.com lists Grandstaff as the No. 6 shooting guard in the nation as Scout.com tabs him at No. 12 at his position in the country.

As a junior, Grandstaff averaged 27.1 points, 6.9 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game while shooting 74-of-213 (34.7%) from beyond the arc this past season to help Rockwall to an 18-12 overall mark and a second-place finish in 5A District 12 hoops. He was later named the district MVP.

Grandstaff originally committed to Oklahoma State last summer, but in February both he and his father, Wes Grandstaff, decided to reopen the recruiting process.

“We just want to sit back and see how things go,” Wes Grandstaff stated back in February to SNY.tv. “We probably committed too early. Looking back, we got excited about Oklahoma State, both of us did. And we’re still excited about Oklahoma State. They have a lot to offer, their facilities. Coach Ford is a great coach. We just want to sit back and evaluate and I don’t want to look back at this and have some missed opportunities and not have done our homework and looked at a lot of schools and let him be recruited. I want him to be recruited and have his options open.”

Apparently, the Grandstaff’s like the initials, OSU.

Along with Ohio State, Grandstaff also had offers from Alabama, Arizona, Creighton, Florida, Georgetown, Iowa State, Marquette, Maryland, UMass, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Texas A&M, UNLV, Virginia, Washington, Western Kentucky and Xavier.

The class of 2015 is now consists of three with 6-foot-7 small forward Mickey Mitchell from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, and Amos “A.J.” Harris, a 5-foot-9 point guard from Dunbar High School in Dayton, Ohio.