No. 10 Ohio State takes control in second half, downs No. 17 Marquette 52-35

No. 10 Ohio State outscored No. 17 Marquette 18-7 in the first 10 minutes of the second half to eventually cruise to a 52-35 win over the Golden Eagles at the BMO Harris Bradley Center in Milwaukee, Wis., on Saturday.

Aaron Craft #4 of the Ohio State Buckeyes drives against Todd Mayo #4 of the Marquette Golden Eagles during a basketball game at BMO Harris Bradley Center on November 16, 2013 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. (Photo by Jeffrey Phelps/Getty Images)

Aaron Craft #4 of the Ohio State Buckeyes drives against Todd Mayo #4 of the Marquette Golden Eagles during a basketball game at BMO Harris Bradley Center on November 16, 2013 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. (Photo by Jeffrey Phelps/Getty Images)

The Buckeyes also snapped Marquette’s 27-game home winning streak, who hadn’t lost at the Bradley Center since Dec. 29, 2011.

Junior forward Sam Thompson and junior guard Shannon Scott both had 13 points for the Buckeyes (3-0), who outscored Marquette by a 33-16 margin in the second half. Senior guard Aaron Craft tallied 10 points and 10 assists.

At halftime, the game was tied at 19-all as both teams struggled shooting the ball. Ohio State was 7-of-26 (26.9%) from the field, while Marquette was 6-of-29 (20.7%).

But Ohio State started the second half on a 12-4 run to separate themselves from Marquette as Scott scored six points during the surge and senior guard Lenzelle Smith Jr. added a layup with 16:21 to go that put OSU up 31-23.

Leading 33-27 with 13:40 remaining, the Buckeyes then went on a 15-2 spurt to put the game away. Thompson scored nine points and his jumper with 5:07 left made it a 48-28 game.

For the contest, Ohio State was 22-of-52 (42.2%) from the field, 3-of-18 (16.7%) from three-point range, and 5-of-15 (33.3%) from the foul line. Marquette shot just 18.9 percent (10-53) from the floor, 1-of-18 (5.6%) from beyond the arc, and 14-of-21 (66.7%) from the charity stripe.

“In the 55 losses since I’ve been here, I’ve always given credit to our opponent. When we get beat we say we got beat,” said Marquette coach Buzz Williams. “All of the coaching clichés like there was a lid on the basket, I don’t ever buy into that. I thought Ohio State was great.”

Up next, Ohio State hosts American University, Wednesday night. Tip-off at Value City Arena is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET, and the game will be televised on BTN.